Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Periodic status 84 on IBM 3584 with LTO3

2006-01-16 21:39:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Periodic status 84 on IBM 3584 with LTO3
From: dean.deano AT gmail DOT com (Dean)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:39:33 +1100
------=_Part_4306_21918472.1137465573325

Yes, back in the 3.4 days I saw this caused by both Compaq Insight Manager
and HP EMS (on HPUX servers).  I don't know if the Microsoft's RSM service
would do the same, as I always turn it off.

But as Jack says, SCSI RESERVE should fix the problem.

Cheers,
Dean

On 1/17/06, Jack L. Forester, Jr. <jack.l.forester AT lmco DOT com> wrote:

> I take it that since your tape drives are on a SAN, they are being
> shared by multiple hosts?  The "external event caused rewind" suggests
> that while one server was performing a backup, another host that can see
> the drives did a SCSI inquiry or some other command to the drive which
> caused it to rewind in the middle of the backup.  Do you have your media
> server set up to use SCSI RESERVE?  We had a very similar problem to
> what you describe with NBU 3.4 up until patch 4.
>
> If you're not familiar with what the SCSI RESERVE does, here's a brief
> description...when a host opens the device and issues a SCSI RESERVE
> command, the drive will respond only to commands issued by the HBA that
> did the SCSI RESERVE.  If another HBA tries to access the device with
> the reserve, it will get an error along the lines of "device busy".
> This prevents hosts in a SAN from interfering with each other.
>
> Now, even if you're using SCSI RESERVE (it should be on by default in
> 4.5+), if another process on the host that is already using the tape
> drive tries to do something with the drive, it can still interfere with
> the backup.  Are there any other processes on the server that could be
> trying to access the tape drive at the same time as the backup is running=
?

> Also, windows is notorious for assuming that it is the only server who
> is using shared devices, and it acts accordingly.  Our windows admins
> had to turn off something in  their servers to stop it from probing the
> tape devices every minute.
>
> Eric Ljungblad wrote:
>
> >Keep in mind that that the tape device drivers Are sending you these
> messages - since we made it past the loader we should look at the drivers=
 on
> the drives or the firmware - should have firmware 1.07 or better on the
> drives and , up to date drivers. Veritas offers some OK drivers on there
> install CD under additional products, tape device drivers, install them,
> reboot then use robtest to test drives?
> >If you can initialize a tape in the robot from your gui then backups are
> hot / good
> >Eric
> >
> >________________________________

ager and HP EMS (on HPUX servers).&nbsp; I don't know if the Microsoft's RS=
M service would do the same, as I always turn it off.</div>
Jack L. Forester, Jr.</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jack.l.forester AT lmco DOT
com">j=
ack.l.forester AT lmco DOT com</a>&gt; wrote:</span>
px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">I take it that since your tape d=
rives are on a SAN, they are being<br>shared by multiple hosts?&nbsp;&nbsp;=
The &quot;external event caused rewind&quot; suggests
e<br>the drives did a SCSI inquiry or some other command to the drive which=
 your media
e not familiar with what the SCSI RESERVE does, here's a brief<br>descripti=
on...when a host opens the device and issues a SCSI RESERVE
ice with<br>the reserve, it will get an error along the lines of &quot;devi=
ce busy&quot;.
ow, even if you're using SCSI RESERVE (it should be on by default in<br>4.5=
+), if another process on the host that is already using the tape<br>drive =
tries to do something with the drive, it can still interfere with
 could be<br>trying to access the tape drive at the same time as the backup=
 is running?<br><br>Also, windows is notorious for assuming that it is the =
only server who
s admins<br>had to turn off something in&nbsp;&nbsp;their servers to stop i=
e:<br><br>&gt;Keep in mind that that the tape device drivers Are sending yo=
u these messages - since we made it past the loader we should look at the d=
rivers on the drives or the firmware - should have firmware=20
1.07 or better on the drives and , up to date drivers. Veritas offers some =
OK drivers on there install CD under additional products, tape device drive=
rs, install them, reboot then use robtest to test drives?<br>&gt;If you can=
 initialize a tape in the robot from your gui then backups are hot / good
;From: <a href=3D"mailto:veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu">veritas-b=
u-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</a> on behalf of <a
href=3D"mailto:ida3248b@=
post.cybercity.dk">
ida3248b AT post.cybercity DOT dk</a><br>&gt;Sent: Mon 1/16/2006 12:54
AM<br>&gt;T=
o: <a href=3D"mailto:veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu">veritas-bu@mailman.=
eng.auburn.edu</a><br>&gt;Subject: [Veritas-bu] Periodic status 84 on IBM 3=
584 with LTO3
4 with LTO3 drives SAN attached to a windows 2003 server.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;We=
're getting status 84 with external event caused rewind<br>&gt;<br>&gt;We h=
avn't been able to find anything in the logs