Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Periodic status 84 on IBM 3584 with LTO3

2006-01-16 15:17:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Periodic status 84 on IBM 3584 with LTO3
From: jack.l.forester AT lmco DOT com (Jack L. Forester, Jr.)
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 15:17:13 -0500
I take it that since your tape drives are on a SAN, they are being
shared by multiple hosts?  The "external event caused rewind" suggests
that while one server was performing a backup, another host that can see
the drives did a SCSI inquiry or some other command to the drive which
caused it to rewind in the middle of the backup.  Do you have your media
server set up to use SCSI RESERVE?  We had a very similar problem to
what you describe with NBU 3.4 up until patch 4.

If you're not familiar with what the SCSI RESERVE does, here's a brief
description...when a host opens the device and issues a SCSI RESERVE
command, the drive will respond only to commands issued by the HBA that
did the SCSI RESERVE.  If another HBA tries to access the device with
the reserve, it will get an error along the lines of "device busy".
This prevents hosts in a SAN from interfering with each other.

Now, even if you're using SCSI RESERVE (it should be on by default in
4.5+), if another process on the host that is already using the tape
drive tries to do something with the drive, it can still interfere with
the backup.  Are there any other processes on the server that could be
trying to access the tape drive at the same time as the backup is running?

Also, windows is notorious for assuming that it is the only server who
is using shared devices, and it acts accordingly.  Our windows admins
had to turn off something in  their servers to stop it from probing the
tape devices every minute.