Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Windows File Fragmentation

2006-01-14 15:15:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Windows File Fragmentation
From: Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA (Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 14:15:08 -0600
--=_alternative 006F3E84862570F6_=

The server i'm having high fragmentation is a Lotus Domino server. I
talked to lotus and they do not recommend defragmentation while domino is
running.

I'd probably need a 4 to 8hr outage window to defrag the drive.

Today i had a small outage window on the server so i upgraded the Raid
Controller Firmware, Server Bios and Upgraded the broadcom GB drivers.

For the time being the backup server isn't having slow backup performance
since the updates. Yeah!

So i have some breathing room until i can get a long outage window.

In the past, slow performance has shown up after two weeks.

At anyrate, i still need to defrag the drive.

Karl

veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu wrote on 01/13/2006 09:32:56 AM:

> Diskeeper may be worth a look, HOWEVER, I haev had MAJOR issues with
> this product trying to run after a backup as it appeared to clear
> the archive attribute.
>
> Fragmentation is an issue, so where poss, try to defrag when backups
> are not required or may JUST before a FULL Backup (that way keeps
> the archive bit !)
>
> Good Luck
>

> Simon Weaver
> Technical Support
> Windows Domain Administrator
> EADS Astrium
> Tel: 02392-708598

while domino is running.</font>
window to defrag the drive.</font>
the server so i upgraded the Raid Controller Firmware, Server Bios and
Upgraded the broadcom GB drivers.</font>
isn't having slow backup performance since the updates. Yeah!</font>
i can get a long outage window.</font>
up after two weeks.</font>
drive.</font>
01/13/2006
09:32:56 AM:<br>
&gt; Diskeeper may be worth a look, HOWEVER, I haev had MAJOR issues with<br>
&gt; this product trying to run after a backup as it appeared to clear
&gt; the archive attribute.</tt></font>
to defrag when backups<br>
&gt; are not required or may JUST before a FULL Backup (that way keeps
&gt; the archive bit !)</tt></font>
&gt; Technical Support<br>
&gt; Windows Domain Administrator </tt></font>
&gt; Tel: 02392-708598 </tt></font>
</tt></font>
&gt; From: Martin, Jonathan (Contractor) [mailto:JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com]
&gt; Sent: 12 January 2006 20:11<br>
&gt; To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu<br>
&gt; Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] Windows File Fragmentation<br>
</tt></font>
perform slowly, <br>
&gt; especially on drives housing databases or many small files. &nbsp;<br>
&gt; However, we found here that the slowness caused by fragmentation was<br>
&gt; only 10% of our reason for slow backups and that 90% pertained to
&gt; network configuration. &nbsp;I guess what I'm getting at is that,
if you <br>
&gt; mean the backup used to take 5 hours and now it takes 6, then likely<br>
&gt; fragmentation is an issue. &nbsp;However, if your backup times are
20 <br>
&gt; hours and they should be five, then you've got bigger issues than
&gt; running scandisk on your hard drives.</tt></font>
&gt; From: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
[mailto:veritas-bu-<br>
&gt; admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu] On Behalf Of Karl.Rossing AT
Federated DOT CA<br>
&gt; Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 12:23 PM<br>
&gt; To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu<br>
&gt; Subject: [Veritas-bu] Windows File Fragmentation<br>
</tt></font>
&gt; I have a database volume that is 95% fragmented. I'm getting poor
&gt; performance on my backups. <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; In your experience, has file fragmentation caused slow performance
&gt; on Windows systems? <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Thanks <br>
&gt; Karl </tt></font>
&gt; This email is for the intended addressee only.<br>
&gt; If you have received it in error then you must not use, retain, <br>
&gt; disseminate or otherwise deal with it.<br>
&gt; Please notify the sender by return email.<br>
&gt; The views of the author may not necessarily constitute the views of
&gt; EADS Astrium Limited.<br>
&gt; Nothing in this email shall bind EADS Astrium Limited in any <br>
&gt; contract or obligation.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; EADS Astrium Limited, Registered in England and Wales No. 2449259<br>
&gt; Registered Office: Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG1
&gt; 2AS, England</tt></font>
--=_alternative 006F3E84862570F6_=--