Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Win21k script to stop AV service during backup & restart when fin ished

2006-01-11 07:37:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Win21k script to stop AV service during backup & restart when fin ished
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 06:37:52 -0600
On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 07:13:07AM -0000, WEAVER, Simon wrote:
> Ok I got the script to work, which is great - only one problem I see - the
> client has multiple paritions and is being backed up using ALL LOCAL DRIVES
> - although the services stop fine, it appears that as soon as one of the
> stream finishes, the services are bought back up, therefore when it comes to
> backing up the partition where Trend lives, the files are being skipped!
>
> I could use a sleep command to delay things, but is there a command to add
> to tell NBU to use the script when the final stream ends?

Nope - it's up to you to keep track of the streams.  You're running into
the classic problem that database admins have been fighting for years -
you want to do something before any of the jobs start (e.g. shut down a
database) and then something after the end of the last (e.g. start the
database back up).  There is no good way of making this work with
multi-stream backups.  The problems get uglier when you have various
failures in one or more of the streams and they get rescheduled.

I've heard that NetBackup fixed this in 6 and gave us additional hooks
to solve this problem but I haven't seen 6 yet.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org