Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Exclude then search or vice-versa?

2006-01-03 18:47:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Exclude then search or vice-versa?
From: Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com (Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com)
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 16:47:15 -0700
Anybody know the order of operation for the search/exclude process for
incremental backups?

I'm doing a backup of a parent filesystem that has exclusions for some
massive subdirectories with millions of small files.  Incremental backups of
this parent filesystem seem to take a very long time.  Does NB, to anybody's
knowlege, build a list of all changed files then apply the exclusion rule or
does it do the opposite.

Example: I backup "/parent" and exclude sub1 & sub2 (they're handled in a
different way in a different policy).

/parent
/parent/sub1  <<Millions of files
/parent/sub2  <<Millions of files
/parent/sub3  <<Thousands of files

Do sub1 & sub2 get scanned for changed files, unnecessarily expanding my
backup times?

(NB v5.1.4 on Sol 8)

-M