Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Media Experation

2005-12-22 18:20:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media Experation
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 17:20:26 -0600
--2fHTh5uZTiUOsy+g

* Jim Peppas <perf AT peppas DOT gr> [2005-12-23 00:52]:
> Hi.
>=20
> Don't use the  vmquery -deassignbyid  command. It will only cause you
> headaches. When using this command, the tapes are not cleaned up correctly
> (see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/241574.htm).
> When you want ot expire tape always use the bpexpdate command. Only if th=
is
> fails should you use  vmquery -deassignbyid  .
>=20
> I would suggest that you print all tapes assigned to all media servers
> seperatly (use bpmedialist -h <mediaserver>). Check to see if you have ta=
pe
> that show up on different servers.
>=20
> I had a customer that used  vmquery -deassignbyid  , and he ended up havi=
ng
> tapes assing to multiple media servers. He had an SSO enviroment though, I
> don't know if this is your case (If you have media servers using the same
> robot and most probably the same tapes, you could have a problem)

Could nothing. You WILL have a problem, potentially a disasterous one.
We uncovered the very nasty side-effect of this which is that you will
end up with a corrupted media db that will result in your environment
not properly cleaning up media, reclaiming to the scratch pool, and
opening the door for media server A to grab and overwrite a tape owned
by media server B, wrecking valid images.

Not cool at all :-(

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com