Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] running out of memory on Solaris 8 master servers

2005-12-21 11:17:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] running out of memory on Solaris 8 master servers
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 10:17:17 -0600
On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 08:51:45AM -0700, King, Cheryl wrote:
> I have two Solaris 8 master servers running NetBackup 5.1 MP3S2.  They
> keep running out of memory after a few months.  I'm wondering if anyone
> else has this problem and if they fixed it.  It started some time after
> going to v5.1 I think.  Maintenance hasn't fixed it.

We've been seeing this as well on Solaris 9 with NBU 5.0.  We're
currently at MP6.

> Any ideas on what's causing it or how I could find out what's causing
> it?  When it runs out of memory it's always during regular backups.

Backups take memory so they're victims.  We see a nice jump in swap
utilization every time our main windows open at 6pm.

> Since I haven't seen any discussion about this on this list I'm assuming
> regular scheduled backups isn't the cause.
>
> The only way to get back swap space is to boot the server.

Add swap :-).  That's our workaround until we can upgrde the server with
a new box (unfortunately our 420 is maxed out for memory already).

We run the rman Oracle instance on our master server and it appears to
be part of the culprit.  We had it off for a while and we were much
better.  We don't know if it's the straw that breaks the camel's back or
if it's the cause.

NetBackup really doesn't like to run out memory (not that I blame it
much) - all the jobs terminate with a 150.

Are other Solaris admins experiencing the same issues?  Does NetBackup
just take that much memory to run?

I have heard that NBU 6 takes a lot of memory than NBU 5 but haven't
been able to validate that yet.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA