Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disk volume layout question

2005-12-16 12:52:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disk volume layout question
From: Eric.Johnson AT allstream DOT com (Johnson, Eric K)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:52:05 -0500
We are in the early stages of migrating from Legato NetWorker to Veritas
NetBackup 5.1. As part of our migration, we are adding enough disk space
to hold one week worth of backups before they are staged to tape.

When configuring our disk (approximately 9.6TB before RAID in a Sun
StorEdge 3511 SATA array. NetBackup server is a Sun E450 running Solaris
10) are there any recommendations for how it should be separated out
into volumes?

Is it better to have one large volume? Many small volumes? What are the
advantages and disadvantages to the given volume sizes from a NetBackup
perspective?

Thank you,

Eric Johnson
Service Technologist
Tel: (204)925-3404
Email: eric.johnson AT allstream DOT com
MTS Allstream