Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] time for NDMP restores

2005-12-14 12:45:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] time for NDMP restores
From: william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com (william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com)
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:45:19 +0000
Did you request to restore files or folders?   DAR is not supported for
directory restores - so it is *very* important that you pick files to
restore, and never folders.  Otherwise it scans the whole tape, even if it
already found what you wanted.

William D L Brown

"Paul Keating" <pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
14-Dec-2005 16:29

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc

Subject
[Veritas-bu] time for NDMP restores

Hi all.

it's been years since I've worked with NDMP much (NB 3.x and Auspex file
servers), with 32 and 64 gig filessytems
so I'm re-learning everything with NetApp, NB5.0 and TB+ filesystems, and
refreshing lots of old memories.

seems a restore, even of a couple files from a 600+ Gig FS backup (home
directoy FS) takes HOURS....like 5-7 hours.

The progress monitor shows the tape mounted, positioned, etc, then sits
there for hours with no KB/s or KB restored reported, then, bam, it's
done.

this more or less normal?

If so, do you folks have SLAs that account for this kind of timeframe for
restores?
or do you you snapshots exclusively for restores of user data and only use
tape for DR?

Paul