Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disaster recovery configuration

2005-12-09 17:33:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disaster recovery configuration
From: Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA (Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA)
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 16:33:44 -0600
--=_alternative 007BF01C862570D2_=

We have are a small company.

We only have 1 Master Server with 14 clients. Our master server runs on
Solaris.

This is what we do for our cold dr process(no available hardware) and our
warm dr process(availible hardware).

Protecting the server
==================
Solaris allows you to create an image (or flash archive) of your server.
We create the flash archive(down all the daemons) and burn it onto a Dual
Layer DVD.

The Solaris OS Installer is what allows you to apply the flash archive to
a server.  After the system is booted we run tpconfig and fix up what
broke. Works great for Solaris 8 and 10.

Protecting the Clients
==================
We run BMR. It's a great product for moving servers around. The only issue
we have is the lack of support for Solaris 10 BMR clients. It's great for
moving servers onto different hardware.

We currently don't have a HOT DR solution. It sounds like that is what
your trying to do. I'd love to hear what you come up with.

veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu wrote on 12/09/2005 04:06:11 PM:

> We're starting the process of building out another data center as a
> disaster recovery facility.  One of the things I don't yet know how to
> configure is NetBackup.  We've got a single Solaris master server today
> and will obviously be putting a Solaris backup server at the DR site.
> We will also have a tape library there that will be doing regular
> backups as well as handle any disaster recovery restorations.
>
> Should I do a global cluster configuration for NetBackup?  If not, and I
> configure the 2nd server as just a media server, how do I promote it to
> be a master?  What support mechanisms are there to keep the catalog up
> to date at the DR site?
>
> I've had a quick look through the Veritas web site but haven't found
> anything that documents best practises for cases like this.

> Thanks,
>         .../Ed
>
> --
> Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
> mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org

--=_alternative 007BF01C862570D2_=

clients. Our master server runs on Solaris.</font>
available hardware) and our warm dr process(availible hardware).</font>
(or flash archive) of your server. We create the flash archive(down all
the daemons) and burn it onto a Dual Layer DVD.</font>
you to apply the flash archive to a server. &nbsp;After the system is booted
we run tpconfig and fix up what broke. Works great for Solaris 8 and 10.</font>
We run BMR. It's a great product for moving servers around. The only issue
we have is the lack of support for Solaris 10 BMR clients. It's great for
moving servers onto different hardware.</font>
It sounds like that is what your trying to do. I'd love to hear what you
come up with.</font>
12/09/2005
04:06:11 PM:<br>
&gt; We're starting the process of building out another data center as
a<br>
&gt; disaster recovery facility. &nbsp;One of the things I don't yet know
how to<br>
&gt; configure is NetBackup. &nbsp;We've got a single Solaris master server
today<br>
&gt; and will obviously be putting a Solaris backup server at the DR site.<br>
&gt; We will also have a tape library there that will be doing regular<br>
&gt; backups as well as handle any disaster recovery restorations.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Should I do a global cluster configuration for NetBackup? &nbsp;If
not, and I<br>
&gt; configure the 2nd server as just a media server, how do I promote
it to<br>
&gt; be a master? &nbsp;What support mechanisms are there to keep the catalog
up<br>
&gt; to date at the DR site?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I've had a quick look through the Veritas web site but haven't found<br>
&gt; anything that documents best practises for cases like this.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Thanks,<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; .../Ed<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; -- <br>
&gt; Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA<br>
&gt; mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org<br>
&gt; Veritas-bu maillist &nbsp;- &nbsp;Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu<br>
&gt; http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>