Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] ARchiving Old Data

2005-12-05 11:24:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] ARchiving Old Data
From: Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com (Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com)
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 09:24:49 -0700
The trouble with the original question, and pointed out below, is that
"archive" means different things to different people.

If you're talking about moving rarely/never used data from disk to tape,
then you're not going to be doing it with Netbackup - at least not
automatically.  Veritas does make a product for this based on HSM methods.
It identifies files based on selection criteria (atime, mtime, etc) and then
moves it to tape, leaving a "stub" behind in the filesystem that points to
the tape image.  If the file is accessesed, then the product runs off to
tape and recovers the file automatically.  This product is basically a
plug-in to Netbackup.

Archiving, as other people use the term, is just backing-up data to tape
with a very long retention - this is just a backup from Netbackup's POV.

Netbackup's "archive", as in the "bparchive" command, is, IMO, most misnamed
feature of Netbackup.  The difference between a backup and an archive is
whether the backed-up file(s) is deleted after backup.  If the source file
is deleted on successful backup, it's an archive.  If not, it's a backup.
Add the stupid "-A" flag to most of the restore/list commands to view these
"archives".  From a tracking, image, tape, and every other point of view,
it's a backup.

Another more recently added feature of Netbackup is the ability to extract
portions of the catalog from disk and move them to tape.  This is more of a
Catalog archive feature.  For people having lots of rarely used, infinitely
retained images, it's an option to keep the catalog size small.  This is a
"catalog archive" in some terminology - not the same as anything above.

So - define "archive" carefully and pick your method.

-M