Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] ARchiving Old Data

2005-12-05 11:05:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] ARchiving Old Data
From: wtsmith AT maine DOT edu (Wayne T Smith)
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:05:36 -0500
When my users talk about archiving, they are talking about moving data
away from where it is, but they still want and need it.

NetBackup "Archive" is a joke to me.  As many or most people don't
backup or archive data to two locations at the same time, the NetBackup
archived data tends to be in one place.

I always tell anyone that will listen that if you have data in just one
place, you have decided that it is not critical and can go away with out
"the sky falling".   True archiving (to me, having a verified and
protected copy of data) isn't easy.

cheers, wayne