Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VTL vs. Disk based backups

2005-12-01 19:19:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VTL vs. Disk based backups
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 18:19:38 -0600
On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 08:00:14AM -0500, Paul Keating wrote:
> Suggestions on this ???
>
> I've got that prob......

Hi Paul,

For slow clients, a dssu will work wonders for freeing up tape drive
time.  Sometimes there's nothing you can do on a client - it's always
going to be slow (lots of small files on an aging server is a good
example), but at least it can trickle in the background.

We're constantly fighting very large and slow clients - millions of
files on Win2k3 that just can't just feed NBU the data fast enough.  We
started with a 24-hour backup and cut that in half by writing to a DSSU.
We cut it in half again with the advanced client (which has lots of
issues but at least the backups are going again).

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org