Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VTL questions

2005-11-20 13:42:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VTL questions
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:42:01 -0600
--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW

* Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org> [2005-11-18 22:00]:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 08:31:38PM -0500, Lee, Kenneth (SBS US) wrote:
> > I would like the following:
> >=20
> > 1.  Backup some clients to VTL.
> > 2.  At the same time, backup some clients to STK SL8500.
> > 3.  In the day time, I would like the VTL to migrate the virtual
> > tapes to the STK SL8500 physical tape.  I don't want to do duplication
> > through NetBackup.  Since the VTL tapes have the same bar code as a
> > physical tapes, NetBackup will think that the tapes are ejected.
>=20
> Why don't use disk storage units instead?  You'll direct some clients to
> the DSSUs and then stage those to tape on a regular basis.  I think it
> solves both your problems - the speed of disk-based backups with the
> security and long-term storage of tape backups.  Restores go from
> whichever copy is available - disk if it's still hanging around or tape
> if the disk image was deleted to free up space for more backups.

One issue with DSSTUs is that you can use only one tape drive per DSSTU,
which can be considerably slower than the original backups to the DSSTU,
which allows multiple simultaneous backups. A VTL doesn't have this
limitation.

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com