Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Oracle RMAN 10g and Flash Recovery Area

2005-11-17 18:54:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Oracle RMAN 10g and Flash Recovery Area
From: cballowe AT gmail DOT com (Charles Ballowe)
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:54:31 -0600
This line is key:
"RMAN then manages your backup storage, deleting obsolete backups and
backups already copied to tape when space is needed, but keeping as
many backups on disk as space permits."

Once a backup has been done to the flash recovery area, you would use
the oracle agent and netbackup to do a "backup backupset all" or
specify a completed time spec in the rman command (the details of the
RMAN backup command can be found at
http://ocpdba.net/10gdoc/server.101/b10770/rcmsynta9a.htm#78898 ).
That will move them from the flashbackup area to tape and then RMAN
will know that they can be freed when it needs to reclaim disk for the
next backup.

-Charlie