Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NB DB Crash - HELP!

2005-11-09 11:35:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB DB Crash - HELP!
From: alex.gerber AT sepracor DOT com (alex.gerber AT sepracor DOT com)
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 11:35:56 -0500
Simon,
You can user bprecover with disk catalogue backups just as you would with tape.
Just give it a "-dpath disk_path" instead of "-tpath tape_device_path".
And no you can't just copy the images - they are formated differently.

Alex GerberSenior UNIX Systems AdministratorSepracor Inc.p.508.357.7445f.
508.357.7777

-----Original Message-----From: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu[mailto:veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu]On Behalf Of
WEAVER,SimonSent: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 10:56 AMTo: 'dave.markham AT
fjserv DOT net'; Williams, Kristopher LCc: veritas-bu AT mailman DOT
eng.auburn.eduSubject: RE: [Veritas-bu] NB DB Crash - HELP!

DaveCan you use BPRECOVER (or another tool) to bring the catalogues back
fromDISK? Or if you are a Windows Master Server, could you simply copy
thefolder structure BACK over the Netbackup directory once the Services are
allstopped??
Simon Weaver Technical Support Windows Domain Administrator
EADS Astrium Tel: 02392-708598
Email: Simon.Weaver AT Astrium.eads DOT net

-----Original Message-----From: Dave Markham [mailto:dave.markham AT fjserv DOT
net] Sent: 09 November 2005 15:55To: Williams, Kristopher LCc: veritas-bu AT

Williams, Kristopher L wrote:
> Guys,>> I'm in a bit of a pickle, hoping someone can think of a way out of
> the> jar. Rocky Reed if your out there - HELP!>  > For one of my customers,
> we have had a netbackup master crash and now> the entire netbackup image and
> media database is gone. I know > everyone's first reaction is to just go
> ahead and recover from the db > backup tape. This, for one reason or another,
> is not an option at all. > I'm come to grips with the fact I will be
> importing in all 500 tapes > that were in the silo at the time of the crash,
> which will take forever.>  > My questions are:>  > 1. I haven't done imports
> on 5.0, anything to watch out for? 2. Can I > do multiple imports at the same
> time? If so, any watch outs? 3. Is > there ANY tool available somewhere that
> I can use to see which tapes > go to which client server? I'm pretty sure
> there isn't, but it's worth > a shot asking.  (Of course as soon as this
> happened a small major > restore request came in) 4. I know imports take a
> LONG time, but does > anyone have any real numbers to how long it takes to
> import a full LTO > tape?>  > This environment is all Windows. Everything is
> running Netbackup 5.0 > MP5.>  >  > This list has pulled through for me in
> the past, hoping someone has a> smoking gun that can help me this time.>  >
> >  > Thanks,>  > Kris
I used to have to import around 8 tapes (DLT4) on DLT7000 drives for a Disaster
recovery test. After doing both phases the clock had ticked past 15 hours. This
was before i could do any restores.
Obviously this was too long so i now create backup copies of the catalogues to
disk and sync them over to the DR site which has a backup server with the same
name. In event of DR i just bprecover the catalogues i have transfered over the
DR environment and it can then read the tapes which were backed up at
production site. This is obviously no use now but may help in the future.
Why have you not got a copy of the catalogues? Are you not creating them or is
the tape duff? May be a way to avoid having to import 500 tapes.
Dave_______________________________________________Veritas-bu maillist  -
Veritas-bu AT mailman DOT
eng.auburn.eduhttp://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu
This email is for the intended addressee only.If you have received it in error
then you must not use, retain, disseminate or otherwise deal with it.Please
notify the sender by return email.The views of the author may not necessarily
constitute the views of EADS Astrium Limited.Nothing in this email shall bind
EADS Astrium Limited in any contract or obligation.
EADS Astrium Limited, Registered in England and Wales No. 2449259Registered
Office: Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG1 2AS,
England_______________________________________________Veritas-bu maillist  -
Veritas-bu AT mailman DOT
eng.auburn.eduhttp://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS COMMUNICATION AND ANY ATTACHMENTS HERETO IS
CONFIDENTIAL, MAY BE ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGED, AND IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE
PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL USE OF THE ADDRESSEE(S). IF THE READER OF THIS
MESSAGE IS NOT AN INTENDED RECIPIENT, OR AN AGENT THEREOF, YOU ARE HEREBY
NOTIFIED THAT ANY REVIEW, USE, DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR COPYING OF THIS
COMMUNICATION OR ANY ATTACHMENT HERETO IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE
RECEIVED THIS MESSAGE IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY BY E-MAIL, AND
DELETE THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE .