Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How to troubleshoot a Firewall Client Backup with Clustered Netbackup Server

2005-11-08 03:38:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How to troubleshoot a Firewall Client Backup with Clustered Netbackup Server
From: ida3248b AT post.cybercity DOT dk (ida3248b AT post.cybercity DOT dk)
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 09:38:37 +0100
Hello Mark

Here is the liste I have used:
1. Check the bpcd log on the client to verify that it is actually using vnetd
2. Do ping -s <client> from the master and media server, to check name
resolution
3. Do a telnet <client> 13782 from the master and media server
4. Do ping -s <masters>/<media> from the client, to check name resolution
5. Do a telnet <masters>/<media> from the client

As you are running a cluster remember that your master is three machines the
logical_host and the two physical there should open in the firewall for them
all.

My guess is that there only are created rules for your logical_host in the
firewall

Regards
Michael

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 17:10:36 -0000, Kilpatrick, Mark wrote
> Hi, I am attempting to backup two Solaris NBU5.1 clients through a firewall
and they are unsuccessful. I would like some pointers on troubleshooting this
procedure.

> The firewall rules have been set up for bpcd (13782) going out to the
client from the master server and media servers.
> The firewall rules have been set up for vnetd (13724) going into the server.
> The client attribute of vnetd port has been selected from the master server
properties for each of the clients.
> When selecting the client properties from the NBU admin interface the error
of cannot connect on socket (status 25) returns immediately
> When running a test backup the error of (58) can?t connect to client
returns almost immediately.

> I have run the bpclient ?client ?nameofclient ?L command on each of the
firewalled clients and the No call back connections is set to yes. But the IP
address returned is 0.0.0.0
> I have checked the /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf on each client
> I have checked the bp.conf on each client and server and media server names
are present
> I have checked /etc/hosts on server and client
> I have enabled logging of bpcd and vnetd on the clients but there are no
log files created ? indicating no communication with the clients from the
master
> I have enabled logging of bpcd on the master
>
> How can I determine if the problem lies with the firewall rules created by
the firewall admin team or with netbackup (version 5.1 HP-UX running on a VCS
cluster). Could the issue be related to the fact that I have a netbackup
clustered server. The firewall rules only specify the virtual server
hostname. Addition of physical name and IP to firewall rules is not possible.

> Regards, Mark K
>

> Due to continued expansion Sabeo Technologies have moved office ? to The
Courtyard, Carmanhall Road, Sandyford, Dublin 18. Our telephone and fax
numbers remain unchanged. A location map is available on our website
www.sabeo.com.

Cybercity Webhosting (http://www.cybercity.dk)