Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 6.0 Catalog Backups

2005-11-07 11:05:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6.0 Catalog Backups
From: jamesp AT hisser DOT org (James Pattinson)
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 16:05:43 +0000
Hi All

Not sure how many of you have played with NBU 6.0 yet, but I've just
upgraded to it from 5.1 MP3 over the weekend. Everything seems to work
OK but I'm a little concerned about the recovery of my catalog backups
at present.

Environment:

6.0 master on RHEL 4.2 with no tape drives (greebo)
5.1 MP3 media server on Solaris 9 attached to the tape library (sparky)
5.1 MP3 media server on RHEL for disk staging (morbo)

My catalog paths are configured as below:

    greebo:/usr/openv/netbackup/db
    greebo:/usr/openv/volmgr/database
    greebo:/usr/openv/var
    sparky:/usr/openv/netbackup/db
    sparky:/usr/openv/volmgr/database

(note that morbo doesn't need a catalog backup as it doesn't have a mediaDB)

Since greebo has no tape drive I'm using sparky as the catalog backup
server.

Now, I'm only concerned about recovering the new EMM database after a
disaster. The manual implies that this is automatically backed up during
the catalog backup, but when I do a bprecover -l on the media server,
there are no .db files listed.

Also, being a 5.1 media server I cannot specify any nbdb options on the
bprecover command line.

I've tried adding each of the following lines in turn to my catalog
backup, but they've all failed with error 141:

NETBACKUP_RELATIONAL_DATABASE_FILES
greebo:NETBACKUP_RELATIONAL_DATABASE_FILES
greebo:greebo.internal.org:NETBACKUP_RELATIONAL_DATABASE_FILES

I guess the first question is - Is it supported to have a 6.0 master
doing catalog backups to a 5.1 media server? And why doesn't the
NETBACKUP_RELATIONAL_DATABASE_FILES directive work?

I'd love to hear comments from any gurus on here!

Thanks,

James

believed to be clean.