Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] using lto2 media in lto3 drives

2005-11-04 16:39:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] using lto2 media in lto3 drives
From: ddunham AT taos DOT com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 13:39:19 -0800 (PST)
> Hmmm....The StorageTek rep is telling us that if the tape has an LTO2
> label (L2 postfix) that the LTO3 drives in the library will read/write
> to the tape in LTO2 format, such that an LTO2 drive will continue to be
> able to read/write to that tape.
>
> Interesting?

Isn't that expected even without such labels?  I thought you needed LTO3
media to get the full performance of LTO3 drives and the higher
densities.

If you just stick LTO2 media into a LTO3 drive, it will only use the
LTO2 formats on it (and will therefore remain compatible with LTO2
drives).

I haven't tried it, but that was my understanding...