Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disk Staging a Full Backup

2005-11-04 14:12:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disk Staging a Full Backup
From: alex.gerber AT sepracor DOT com (alex.gerber AT sepracor DOT com)
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 14:12:47 -0500
Disk Staging will clean itself up based on certain rules. Disk Backup with
vault is what you are looking for.
Use Disk backup to backup for 1 week. Use Vault to dupe it out for 5 weeks.
Make sure you keep an eye on storage - disk backup does not clean itself up -
make sure you don't backup to / or NB's catalog partition.
Alex
-----Original Message-----From: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu[mailto:veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu]On Behalf Of
Conner,MikeSent: Friday, November 04, 2005 11:47 AMTo: Charles Ballowe;
veritas-bu AT mailman DOT eng.auburn.eduSubject: RE: [Veritas-bu] Disk Staging
a Full Backup

Charles, how would I do this though...as I'm trying to set this up, if
Ioverride policy storage unit to the disk staging...then how do I make itto
where the retention for the DS copy is only 1 week and the tape copyis 5 weeks.
 If I click on Multiple Copies, it takes away the overridepolicy storage unit
and the configure doesn't show anything about thedisk staging.
ThanksMike-----Original Message-----From: Charles Ballowe [mailto:cballowe AT
gmail DOT com] Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 11:37 AMTo: Conner, MikeSubject:
Re: [Veritas-bu] Disk Staging a Full Backup
Easy if you're using vault to do your duplication and a norma diskstorage unit.
If you're using the disk staging storage unit, itshouldn't be too bad either -
but the image on disk will just beremoved when the space is needed rather than
on some sort of timeschedule.
DSSU is free - vault is not, personally I like the vault solutionbetter.
-Charlie
On 11/4/05, Conner, Mike <MConner AT imb DOT org> wrote:> I have NB 5.1 MP1 on
Windows 2000.  I was wondering if it is possibleto> do disk staging with a full
backup...possibly make the retention onthe> disk staging to 1 week but make the
staged image to tape the primary> copy with 5 weeks retention.> Thanks> Mike>>