Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Master / Media Servers Explained Please

2005-10-31 07:44:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Master / Media Servers Explained Please
From: simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net (WEAVER, Simon)
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:44:00 -0000
Hi Everyone
Presently, firefighting NBU 5.x and 3.4 Master Servers with various backup
issues which I will not bore you all about yet :-)

I have just discovered a site that I work with has approx 10 MEDIA SERVERS
and many master servers.

I am presently using 2 master servers and am being told that I will need to
implement Many media servers asap.

But my concerns are costs and what benefit the media servers will give me. I
will be implementing a 25 drive 700 TL system in the near future, and wanted
to make a fault tolerant Master Server to perform the job, but can anyone
give me any pros / cons as I feel uneasy about having many 2003 Media
Servers on board. Also, costs are going to be an issue, so if anyone has any
reasons or limitations as to why 1 master server could not backup / restore
many clients, please do let me know

Thanks everyone for any input :-)

Simon

If you have received it in error then you must not use, retain, disseminate or
otherwise deal with it.
The views of the author may not necessarily constitute the views of EADS
Astrium Limited.
Nothing in this email shall bind EADS Astrium Limited in any contract or
obligation.

EADS Astrium Limited, Registered in England and Wales No. 2449259