Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] using lto2 media in lto3 drives

2005-10-27 12:56:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] using lto2 media in lto3 drives
From: Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com (Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:56:30 -0600
I can't speak for LTO2 to LTO3 but I have LTO1 & LTO2.

LTO1 media, once *written* in an LTO2 drive is no longer readable in an LTO1
drive.  That's made it difficult on my side to slowly convert, too.  LTO2
writes more efficiently on LTO1 tape, increasing the effective data density,
but the data is unreadable in and LTO1 drive.

I ended up building multiple storage units with different media types &
slowly added the denser media as a new media type to match.

There's a report that restores are media-type aware, too.  I thought I could
"fake" my media on my long-term storage, using vmchange to convert my filled
offsite media to HCART2 so that it would read in my LTO2 drives.  I've been
told that I would shoot myself in the foot on restores.  While you can fake
convert empty media to a new media type, filled media would fail in restore.
Somewhere in the DB, says the report, if a restore is triggered, it says
"such-and-so file is on tape XX whick is HCART media".  If vmchange was used
to "convert" the media type to HCART2, then the restore fails because the
media type doesn't match.

I haven't tried this yet - I should test it thoroughly - but it's a
consideration.

-M