Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Long distance fibrechannel tape drives

2005-10-25 11:42:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Long distance fibrechannel tape drives
From: BBahnmiller AT pier1 DOT com (Bahnmiller, Bryan)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:42:20 -0500
William, all,

  Thanks for the suggestions and comments everyone.

  We do have switches at both ends of the link. Buffer credits were set
to "auto" with maximum available. The distance on the link was reported
by word of mouth to me as "about 23 miles" but I have not seen an actual
measurement. We can do a FC ping, and source to destination is about
1000 ns. We are going to set the buffer credits at both ends to a fixed
value and see if that makes any difference.

  We connect to the link vendor's hardware in our building - they bring
in the fiber and the equipment, and we connect to the port with a 2 Gb
shortwave connector. I'm assuming that they are doing some sort of
conversion behind the scenes from us - they obviously have to do
something in order to cover the distance, I think it is DWDM.

  Currently our link is a dedicated link. We may use it for other things
down the road, SRDF or such, but currently we are testing our options.

  By no means do I fully understand the interaction of how the NetBackup
data buffers eventually get broken down to the FC data packets. Or how
the handshaking occurs at that level. My assumption is that has
something to do with the lower data rates over the longer distance.

  So far, we have only been able to push the 2 Gb fiber to about 10% of
its capacity with NetBackup going to tape drives. So we still have a lot
of empty space on the fiber while our packets are in transit. But we
definitely have more than one packet on the pipe at a time, otherwise
the speed would be much worse.

  I know the speed of light is still an annoyance to a lot of us, but we
try to work within the limits...

   Thanks all, I'll keep digging.

       Bryan