Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Media Write Error 84

2005-10-13 11:54:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media Write Error 84
From: Shawn_Coleman AT booksarefun DOT com (Shawn_Coleman AT booksarefun DOT com)
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:54:00 -0500
--=_alternative 0057446986257099_=

We fought 84's for months and made a few changes that all helped a little
bit.  I would suggest going through the logs and finding out exactly what
the 84's reference.  For instance is it a CRC error or a write protected
tape.  Check to see if it is the same media every time.  Keep track of
what media gives you the 84's cause it might come in handy later.  You
will want to check the speeds at which your SCSI cards communicate at and
tweak the configuration on the cards.  We had to end up disabling domain
validation and ultra wide negotiation and set the cards to a static set
speed of 160 instead of auto.  We also had to change the type of SCSI
cables we were using to low voltage due to the library we were using.

This was and is our current config:
Windows Server 2003
NetBackup 5.1 Enterprise
StorageTek L20
3 Adaptec 39160 SCSI cards
Robot and both drives are configured on their own card to maximize
throughput.

Through all of this we actually found a couple of bad tapes but if a tape
fails with an 84 it can and will cause a problem if you try to append data
to it since there will be no EOF marker on the tape.

Hope some of this helps and GOOD LUCK!

Thanks,

Shawn Coleman
Network Administrator
Books Are Fun, Ltd.
Phone - 641.472.8301 x1560
Fax - 888.708.1682
Cell - 641-919-2433

"WEAVER, Simon" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
10/13/2005 02:39 AM

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc

Subject
[Veritas-bu] Media Write Error 84

Morning everyone
Just had my first taste of Netbackup and appears to have a lot of Media 84
errors. From my own experience before, I recall this was something to do
with possibly bad tapes!

Is there a way to resolve Media 84 errors? Or any recommendations

Spec: NBU DC 5.1 MP2 Windows 2003 and I believe it's a Master Server!

Thanks anyone!

Simon Weaver
Technical Support
Windows Domain Administrator

EADS Astrium
Tel: 02392-705354

Email: Simon.Weaver AT Astrium.eads DOT net

If you have received it in error then you must not use, retain,
disseminate or otherwise deal with it.
The views of the author may not necessarily constitute the views of EADS
Astrium Limited.
Nothing in this email shall bind EADS Astrium Limited in any contract or
obligation.

EADS Astrium Limited, Registered in England and Wales No. 2449259
Registered Office: Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG1 2AS,
England

ForwardSourceID:NT0001B09A

--=_alternative 0057446986257099_=

few changes that all helped a little bit. &nbsp;I would suggest going through
the logs and finding out exactly what the 84's reference. &nbsp;For instance
is it a CRC error or a write protected tape. &nbsp;Check to see if it is
the same media every time. &nbsp;Keep track of what media gives you the
84's cause it might come in handy later. &nbsp;You will want to check the
speeds at which your SCSI cards communicate at and tweak the configuration
on the cards. &nbsp;We had to end up disabling domain validation and ultra
wide negotiation and set the cards to a static set speed of 160 instead
of auto. &nbsp;We also had to change the type of SCSI cables we were using
to low voltage due to the library we were using.</font>
on their own card to maximize throughput.</font>
a couple of bad tapes but if a tape fails with an 84 it can and will cause
a problem if you try to append data to it since there will be no EOF marker
on the tape.</font>
Thanks,<br>
Shawn Coleman<br>
Network Administrator<br>
Books Are Fun, Ltd.<br>
Phone - 641.472.8301 x1560<br>
Fax - 888.708.1682<br>
Cell - 641-919-2433<br>
&lt;simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net&gt;</b> </font>
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</font>
DOT edu</font>
Error 84</font></table>
Morning everyone<br>
Just had my first taste of Netbackup and appears to have a lot of Media
84<br>
errors. From my own experience before, I recall this was something to do<br>
with possibly bad tapes!<br>
Is there a way to resolve Media 84 errors? Or any recommendations<br>
Spec: NBU DC 5.1 MP2 Windows 2003 and I believe it's a Master Server!<br>
Thanks anyone!<br>
Simon Weaver <br>
Technical Support <br>
Windows Domain Administrator <br>
EADS Astrium <br>
Tel: 02392-705354 <br>
Email: Simon.Weaver AT Astrium.eads DOT net <br>
This email is for the intended addressee only.<br>
If you have received it in error then you must not use, retain, disseminate
or otherwise deal with it.<br>
Please notify the sender by return email.<br>
The views of the author may not necessarily constitute the views of EADS
Astrium Limited.<br>
Nothing in this email shall bind EADS Astrium Limited in any contract or
obligation.<br>
EADS Astrium Limited, Registered in England and Wales No. 2449259<br>
Registered Office: Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG1 2AS,
England<br>