Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Windows 2000 File Protection issue

2005-10-11 11:03:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Windows 2000 File Protection issue
From: ROHRBACH_MARTIN_NONLILLY AT Lilly DOT com (Martin Rohrbach NONLILLY)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:03:04 +0100
--=_alternative 0052AE3380257097_=

We had that problem a couple of times as well and found that to be an
issue with c:\boot.ini pointing to a wrong boot partition. After fixing
that from the windows recovery console, the server came up fine every
time.

-Martin

Vincent_Mase AT harvardpilgrim DOT org
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
06/10/2005 20:23

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc

Subject
[Veritas-bu] Windows 2000 File Protection issue

During a test of our ability to recover a Windows 2000 server from the
ground up we ran into some
issues w/ Windows File protection.  We attempted was to use a base Windows
2000 image installed on a
similar hardware configuration as the original server, with the same disk
layout and OS install
path, then  install the Netbackup client, run the restore of the entire
server, selecting overwrite
files, and reboot.   The server OS would not come backup and would
generate an error saying the
system cannot find NTOSKRNL.exe.  It was eventually discovered that
Windows File Protection may be
the root of the issue.  We laid down another base install, deleted the
contents of the
winnt\system32\dllcache folder and ran the restore and up came the server.
  It appears that as NBU
laid down the windows system files WPF replaced them with the versions
contained in the dllcache
folders.

Wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue, or has a reliable
procedure for recovering Windows
servers.

Vincent Mase

The information contained in this email message and any attachments may be
privileged and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If
review, disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other use of this
communication is strictly prohibited.  If you received this email in
error, please notify the sender by reply and delete the message without
saving, copying or disclosing it.  Thank you.

--=_alternative 0052AE3380257097_=

as well and found that to be an issue with c:\boot.ini pointing to a wrong
boot partition. After fixing that from the windows recovery console, the
server came up fine every time. </font>
DOT org</b>
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</font>
DOT edu</font>
File Protection issue</font></table>
During a test of our ability to recover a Windows 2000 server from the
ground up we ran into some<br>
issues w/ Windows File protection. &nbsp;We attempted was to use a base
Windows 2000 image installed on a<br>
similar hardware configuration as the original server, with the same disk
layout and OS install<br>
path, then &nbsp;install the Netbackup client, run the restore of the entire
server, selecting overwrite<br>
files, and reboot. &nbsp; The server OS would not come backup and would
generate an error saying the<br>
system cannot find NTOSKRNL.exe. &nbsp;It was eventually discovered that
Windows File Protection may be<br>
the root of the issue. &nbsp;We laid down another base install, deleted
the contents of the<br>
winnt\system32\dllcache folder and ran the restore and up came the server.
&nbsp; It appears that as NBU<br>
laid down the windows system files WPF replaced them with the versions
contained in the dllcache<br>
folders.<br>
Wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue, or has a reliable procedure
for recovering Windows<br>
servers.<br>
Vincent Mase<br>
The information contained in this email message and any attachments may
be privileged and/or confidential. &nbsp;It is for intended addressee(s)
only. &nbsp;If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any review, disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other use of
this communication is strictly prohibited. &nbsp;If you received this email
in error, please notify the sender by reply and delete the message without
saving, copying or disclosing it. &nbsp;Thank you. <br>