Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: DSU removing files...

2005-09-16 08:33:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: DSU removing files...
From: kfhemness AT ucdavis DOT edu (Kathryn Hemness)
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 05:33:50 -0700 (PDT)
> To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
> From: Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA
> Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:09:23 -0500
> Subject: [Veritas-bu] DSU removing files...
>
> This is a multipart message in MIME format.
> --=_alternative 007436FE8625707D_=
>
> Solaris Master NB 5.0mp5
>
> I have had to create a dsu for each of my tape drives.
>
> I also had to create a DSU for each of my retentions.
>
> so i have
>
> tapedrive1-daily
> tapedrive2-daily
> tapedrive1-monthly
> tapedrive2-monthly
>
> My daily DSU are almost equal in size and they seem to individually not to
> run out of space. They seem to delete(or zero) the previous backed up
> data.
>
> It appears that I'll need to, at the end of the month, remove the data
> disk copy of the data that went to the tape from the daily, run the
> monthly tape and then delete the monthly data that got written to tape
> successfully.
>
> What's the best way to remove files from the DSU once they have been
> backed up? right now I'm rm -rf the monthend.
>
> Man i hope this works better in version 6.0

Actually, it works better in NB51MP3 as some other people on this
mentioned. NB51MP3 has both DSU (disk storage units) and
DSSU (disk-staging storage units), although both are lame.
With DSSUs, NetBackup takes care of the staging of the diskimages to tape
and the removal of the diskimage after the successful staging.

I think that with NB50, you only have the regular DSU and have to do
all staging and disk storage unit cleaning yourself. By using the
"rm -rf" method, you are making restores from the deleted images
difficult.  I'm in the position of having to manually stage diskimages
to tape and remove them immediately afterwards.  To do this, I
use the bpduplicate command which makes the tape copy the primary
copy.  After the diskimage has been duplicated to tape, I use the
bpexpdate command to expire the diskimage copy of the backup (usually
copy 1).

Both the bpduplicate and bpexpdate commands have man pages with good
examples.

--kathy