Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Query regarding the vmquery command

2005-09-14 19:13:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Query regarding the vmquery command
From: Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com (Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:13:08 -0600
Nope - it's this (from the vmchange command)

     -exp date Expiration date for this volume.

>From the Volume Manager SAG (p445 in v5.1 guide)
===
Changing the Expiration Date for Volumes

The administrator can change the expiration date for any volume in the
volume database. The expiration date refers to the age of the media (not the
data on the media) and is the time at which the media is considered too old
to be reliable. When its expiration date has passed a volume can still be
read, but it will not be mounted for a write access.

Requesting write access to a volume whose expiration date has passed results
in an error; requesting read access results in a warning being logged to the
system console log.
===

So - expiration date as reported by vmquery is volume expiration - it's
about tape age.  Expiration date reported by bpmedia & bpmedialist are about
image expiration on a tape, not the tape itself.  The commands query
different databases, vmquery is a VolDB command, bpmedia & bpmedialist are
MediaDB commands.  The media manager software controls the VolDB database,
Netbackup (proper) controls the MediaDB.  Since the products sections were
once completely separate products, the word "expiration" is used differently
by each.

As an example, here's the bpmedialist output for one of my tapes:

> bpmedialist -mlist -m 004800
Server Host = ug-50

 id     rl  images   allocated        last updated      density  kbytes
restores
           vimages   expiration       last read         <------- STATUS
------->
----
004800   6    158   03/25/2005 09:12  05/17/2005 10:22  hcart2   480581327
0
              MPX   05/17/2006 10:22        N/A           FULL

The (image) expiration on this tape is 5/17/2006, the date when the last
image on this tape will expire and the tape becomes reusable.  At this time,
the media info will be completely deleted from the MediaDB and the VolDB
will be modified to have the assigned date changed to "00/00/0000".  The
fact that sometimes this process screws up is represented in the "vmquery
-deassignbyid" command.

The removal of the info from the MediaDB can be proven by trying the
bpmedialist command against a Scratch tape, it results in "requested media
id was not found in NB media database and/or MM volume database" but it
remains in the VolDB

The vmquery output for this same tape is:

> vmquery -m 004800
====
media ID:              004800
media type:            1/2" cartridge tape 2 (14)
barcode:               004800
media description:     Added by Media Manager
volume pool:           nas_fs (21)
robot type:            TLD - Tape Library DLT (8)
robot number:          0
robot slot:            1701
robot control host:    ug-50
volume group:          ADIC10K_HCART2
vault name:            ---
vault sent date:       ---
vault return date:     ---
vault slot:            ---
vault session id:      ---
vault container id:    -
created:               Wed Jan 19 15:32:20 2005
assigned:              Fri Mar 25 09:12:24 2005
last mounted:          Tue May 17 03:24:24 2005
first mount:           Fri Mar 25 22:52:07 2005
expiration date:       ---
number of mounts:      4
max mounts allowed:    ---
status:                0x0
====

This output shows that an expiration date of "---".  Wide output would show
00/00/0000 instead but it's the same value.

Max mounts allowed & volume expiration date are defaulted so that the tape
never is marked unusable.  Your 9940 tapes aren't good forever but Netbackup
isn't about to tell you that.

I let my tapes run forever, anticipating that they'll be taken out of
service through error counts.

HTH - Mark