Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: The process bpbkar starts on its own, and eats up 99% of the CPU on Solaris 8 client using Netbackup 5.0

2005-08-22 11:48:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: The process bpbkar starts on its own, and eats up 99% of the CPU on Solaris 8 client using Netbackup 5.0
From: Scott.Chapman AT icbc DOT com (Chapman, Scott)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:48:12 -0700
I had a problem with a solaris client once that used up a pile of CPU on
that client.  What had happened on the client was that someone had
mounted a CD, then they had somehow pulled the CD in such a way that the
filesystem was still mounted under solaris, but the CD did not exist in
the drive . . . Don't ask me how that happened!

The bpbkar process kept hanging up on the client machine and when I
noticed the problem there were a bunch of bpbkar processes running.  I
found the problem by backing up small pieces of the machine at a time,
so rather than doing ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES, I just did each /etc/vfstab mount
at a time until I figured out the problem was somewhere under root . . .

Hope this helps . . .

Scott Chapman
Insurance Corporation of British Columbia - Victoria
ph: 250.414.7650  cell: 250.213.9295