Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Fast backup to tape but slow backup to disk on NBU 5.1MP3

2005-08-15 22:22:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Fast backup to tape but slow backup to disk on NBU 5.1MP3
From: rob AT worman DOT org (Rob Worman (home))
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 21:22:55 -0500
What a fascinating thread - thanks for the interesting test results,
Tim!

As for "what the netbackup fallout might be on a dssu loss", here's my
crack at it:

Losing a disk storage unit is equivalent to a destroyed tape, just on a
much larger scale :-(

Depending on your configuration and the state of the disk storage unit
at the time of the loss, there are two potential scenarios that you'll
be in:

For a given image...
(1)the lost disk storage unit had the only copy of the image
  or
(2)the lost disk storage unit had the original copy of the image, but
there are additional copies that also exist.

The immediate symptom of either of these scenarios would look
similar... you would be able to browse these images for a restore, but
once the restore is launched you're going to see lots of errors.
(probably status code 174 or 85 failures)

The immediate resolution of either of these would also be similar -
expire the invalid copy of the data from the catalog with bpexpdate
-backupid -copy.

The difference between (1) and (2) lies in the end result of that
bpexpdate.  You'll either lose the entire image because you had to
bpexpdate your only copy from the catalog, or else your secondary copy
will automatically ascend to primary and your restore attempts will
work again.

HTH
rob