Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multi-Server tape drives in a Single tape library

2005-08-11 20:48:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multi-Server tape drives in a Single tape library
From: dean.deano AT gmail DOT com (Dean)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:48:46 +1000
------=_Part_3929_3600361.1123807726892

Kathy

Yes, many people have done this.

If your new media server will only be backing itself up, it should be a "SA=
N=20
Media Server".
If it will be backing up other clients over a LAN connection, it should be =
a=20
full "Media Server".
(It's only a licensing difference - the SAN Media Server is cheaper).

You then zone your two tape drives so that only your new media server can=
=20
see them, configure the drives to the O/S, then define them in NetBackup on=
=20
the new media server.

Then create a new storage unit with your media server as the media host.

Point the appropopriate policies at your new storage unit, and you're done.

As for your other 2 tape drives, if you want to share them between your new=
=20
media server and the master, you will need an SSO license for each drive.

Regards,
Dean

On 8/12/05, Kathryn Hemness <kfhemness AT ucdavis DOT edu> wrote:
>=20
> Greetings -
>=20
> I currently have a single NB51MP3 servers connected to 2 6TB storage
> arrays and a single LTO2 library containing 3 drives. Both arrays
> and the tape library are connected to the server via 2gb fiber
> zoned via a brocade switch.
>=20
> I will be adding a media server and attaching one of the 6TB storage
> arrays to it. I'll also be adding another tape drive to the library.
>=20
> I'd like to be able to configure 2 of the tape drives in the library
> so that they are "local" to each server so that I/O from the storage
> arrays go directly to tape drives "local" to the same server.
>=20
> Has anyone on this list done something like this?
>=20
> --kathy

------=_Part_3929_3600361.1123807726892

Kathy<br>
Yes, many people have done this.<br>
If your new media server will only be backing itself up, it should be a &qu=
ot;SAN Media Server&quot;.<br>
If it will be backing up other clients over a LAN connection, it should be =
a full &quot;Media Server&quot;.<br>
(It's only a licensing difference - the SAN Media Server is cheaper).<br>
You then zone your two tape drives so that only your new media server
can see them, configure the drives to the O/S, then define them in
NetBackup on the new media server.<br>
Then create a new storage unit with your media server as the media host.<br=

Point the appropopriate policies at your new storage unit, and you're done.=
As for your other 2 tape drives, if you want to share them between your
new media server and the master, you will need an SSO license for each
drive.<br>
Regards,<br>
sendername">Kathryn Hemness</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:kfhemness AT ucdavis DOT
edu=
">kfhemness AT ucdavis DOT edu</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote
class=3D"gmail_quo=
te" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt=
 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Greetings -<br><br>I currently have a single NB51MP3 servers connected to 2=
 6TB storage<br>arrays and a single LTO2 library containing 3 drives.&nbsp;=
&nbsp;Both arrays<br>and the tape library are connected to the server via&n=
bsp;&nbsp;2gb fiber
server and attaching one of the 6TB storage<br>arrays to it.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'l=
l also be adding another tape drive to the library.<br><br>I'd like to be a=
ble to configure 2 of the tape drives in the library
storage<br>arrays go directly to tape drives &quot;local&quot; to the same =
illist&nbsp;&nbsp;-&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href=3D"mailto:Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng DOT
aub=
urn.edu">Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</a><br><a
href=3D"http://mailman=
.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu">
http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu</a><br></blockquo=
te></div><br>

------=_Part_3929_3600361.1123807726892--