Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Fast backup to tape but slow backup to disk on NBU 5.1MP3

2005-08-10 12:49:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Fast backup to tape but slow backup to disk on NBU 5.1MP3
From: pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:49:58 -0400
Try and get a hold of the latest issue of Storage mag.

There's an article about performance tuning for backup-to-disk.

For one, I don't think you're doing your self any favours using
concatenated disks for your volume.

The key point in the article is to create lots of small LUNs on your
storage array, each using small chunks of space on several spindles,
then present these LUNs to your media server, and use a volume manager
on the server to create a filesystem striped acorss the multiple LUNs.

There is even a graph with some stats based on some of their test cases.

IIRC, their test bed was NBU 5.x with HDS 9570 SATA storage.

Paul