Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Separate Incremental and Full

2005-08-05 11:26:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Separate Incremental and Full
From: Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com (Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com)
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:26:48 -0600
Nope incrementals only in a second policy won't work - the incremental is
scoped only within the same policy as its full.

You're going to have to make another policy with both a full and an
incremental.

Set the full with a 52-week frequency and a wide window, probably over
several days.  Then do daily differential incrementals.  Each daily will be
changed files with respect to the 52-week full.  This backup set will have
to be kept for two years to guarentee a 1-year historical restorability.

The reason for the two-year retention is because if you have to do a restore
from something archaic, you have to have something to base an old
incremental on.  You'll only run into trouble after the first year.

The wrong way:

Week  Backup
----  ------
 1    Full 1 (1-year retention)
 2    Incr (with respect to Full 1)
 3    Incr (WRT Full 1)
51    Incr (WRT Full 1)
52    Full 2 (1-year year retention)
53    Incr (WRT Full 2)  <<< Full 1 is now a year old and is expired
54    Incr (WRT Full 2)

Now, Joe Blow comes to you and says, "you keep a year's woth of files,
right?  Give me filesystem /blah/X from two months ago restored to
such-and-so location so I can mine data from it."

Now, you go to your old retention tapes and you'll need a bunch of
incrementals from weeks 1, 2, 40 & 42 and so forth but you'll first need to
restore the full backup they're based then apply the changes, right?  Well,
these incrementals are based on "Full 1" and "Full 1" is expired.  You've
got changes but no baseline.

You can keep the incremental for a year if they're cummulative incrementals
and not differental incrementals but  the baseline has to be kept for twice
your desired historical depth if you intend to have restorability.

Sorry - it's going to cost a little more tape than you anticipated.

You could dump your two week retention on of course, this method covers that
period.  If you need a daily full backup offsite, though, I think you're
running two policies.

HTH - Mark