Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Meaning of 1 Month retention level?

2005-08-04 13:04:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Meaning of 1 Month retention level?
From: M.W.Ellwood AT rl.ac DOT uk (Ellwood, MW (Mike))
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 18:04:29 +0100
I thought I had read that a retention period of "1 month" was
interpreted by Netbackup as "31 days".

I only recently realised that you could set the RL to mean an exact
number of explicit days.
We used to have our standard RL of 3 set to "one month", and as an
experiment I changed it
To "28 days".

We did some backups, and now wanted to recalculate those back to "1
month".

I changed the meaning of RL=3 back to one month, and recalculated
certain backups.

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks to be like it might be interpreting this
as one calendar month.

(I have yet to see how it will interpret the RL for new backups)

Any one with any extensive experience of this sort of thing?

(nb, we happen to be on a rather old level, 3.4GA)

Thanks.

Mike Ellwood
 BITD, EBU, ELS
 R27-F33 Atlas Centre
CCLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon, OX11 0QX
Tel: +44 (0)1235 446161    Email: m.w.ellwood AT rl.ac DOT uk