Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up Solaris 9 submirrors

2005-08-03 11:02:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up Solaris 9 submirrors
From: cballowe AT gmail DOT com (Charles Ballowe)
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 10:02:28 -0500
It backs them up as they are when the backup happens. If you're
dealing with oracle databases, something should either put the
database into backup mode or shut it down completely before doing a
backup. In backup mode, you need to get the archive logs last, and
should pick up a backup of the control file. ... or use the Oracle
agent and exclude the database files all together. Other databases
pose similar problems.

If you do regular restore tests of your databases, you should be more
than fine with your backup methods - remember that a backup is no good
unless you can restore from it.

The split mirror backups are a good way in an extremely high
availability environment to get a cold database backup and minimize
database downtime - shutdown the database, split the mirror, bring up
the database and backup the split copy while operations continue as
normal.

It's far from normal - but it gives people comfort in some environments.

-Charlie