Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Best way to backup millions of files?

2005-07-11 12:14:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Best way to backup millions of files?
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:14:57 -0500
On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 09:42:49AM -0400, Piszcz, Justin wrote:
> I have a machine, Solaris 8 with 20,000 directories/files per directory
> with a total of over 2 million files.
>
> I get 38kb/s when backing up many small files.
>
> Is there anyway to speed this up?

We've run into this with Windows file systems - tons of little files.
Backing up a 250GB volume was taking about 24 hours.  When we starting
utilizing disk-based staging units, the time dropped in half.  We then
used the Advanced Client (giving us FlashBackup) and the time dropped in
half again so we're about 5.5 hours for roughly 10M files.

The system load is a lot less with FlashBackup too.

We had a ton of issues before with FlashBackup but they seem to be all
resolved now with 5.0MP5.  We're in the process of buying a bunch of
licenses now...

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org