Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NB51MP3 high cpu loads caused by bpdm?

2005-07-07 10:12:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB51MP3 high cpu loads caused by bpdm?
From: Bill_Jorgensen AT csgsystems DOT com (Jorgensen, Bill)
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:12:36 -0600
Kathryn:

I have not been following this REAL close, but I was curious about a few
things. How much physical memory does your 240 have? I look at 16MB of
shared memory with a NBU server and wondering if the lack of shared
memory may cause the cpu load. In addition, check your VERBOSE level
within the bp.conf. If it is set much above 2 then bpdb may be writing
too much. Increasing the VERBOSE level is helpful for debugging, but you
can throttle it back under "normal" circumstances.

One thing of note on shared memory. I have heard from Sun that it is
recommended that shared memory should not exceed 25% of the physical
memory on the system. That being the case, if you have 4GB of RAM on
your 240 then run your shmmax to 1073741824 (1GB). Make sure that you
increase the number of semaphores and semaphore undues proportionally.
You may find that things run a little quieter.

HTH,

Bill

     Bill Jorgensen
     CSG Systems, Inc.