Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Check contents of tapes without netbackup

2005-06-30 05:17:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Check contents of tapes without netbackup
From: Iain Miller <iainonthemove AT gmail DOT com> (Iain Miller)
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:17:26 +0100
Hi Guys,

We run netbackup 4.5 on a Sparc Solaris 8 box.

We just replaced all the tapes in our backup schedule due to possible
faulty media/tape drive.  We then got our tape drive replaced and new
media used and this has helped our backups.

However, I have been asked to see what data we have available on the
old tapes.  Now, I don't want to be putting the potentially bad tapes
back into the nice shiny new tape drive just in case.  I have an old
drive sitting around that I was planning on attaching to a test server
which does not run netbackup.

My question is - is there a simple way to extract the contents of
these tapes without using netbackup??  I'd initially want to produce a
listing of all the images on the tapes and then if required actually
extract the data from one of the images.  AFAIK netbackup just uses
tar so this should be possible but I have no prior experience of doing
this and was looking for some pointers.

Thanks in advance,

Iain.

--