Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Master to Media server ratio

2005-06-23 18:44:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Master to Media server ratio
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:44:49 -0500
--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr

* Geyer, Gregory <Gregory.Geyer AT Avnet DOT com> [2005-06-23 13:23]:
> =20
> My current environment is one master server, 32 media servers and 400+
> clients.  With an acquisition and a new business coming online we could
> be increasing our server count by 50%.  I've heard Veritas technical
> support comment that I'm on the verge of exceeding the numbers of media
> servers per master that they recommend.
> =20
> I'm campaigning for another master for many reasons, but primarily so I
> do not overload the current master and primary network media server.
> Does anyone have any actual documentation or personal experience to
> suggest increasing media servers beyond 30 or so per master is not a
> good idea?  I realize there are large shops out there that exceed those
> numbers but the resources available on my end are getting more stressed
> every month.

32 media server for 400 clients?? We have 1 master server with _5_ Media
servers for 900 clients in 1 environment. Why do you have such a spread?
What type of servers are you using? Ours are Sun v440's with
fiber-attached 9940b tape drives and our environment is doing fairly
well.=20

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com