Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Change Retention Level via CLI (not GUI)

2005-06-21 10:54:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Change Retention Level via CLI (not GUI)
From: Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com (Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com)
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 08:54:11 -0600
If you're talking about changing the retention of existing backups from one
retention level to another, you can use "bpexpdate -recalculate" to do that
(lots of options, see the man page).  If that's not enough resolution, you
can extract a list of backup image ids using bpimage (which has even more
options) and then use the -backupid option on bpexpdate.

If you're talking about changing a retention level so that, for example,
retention level 4 used to be 13 days and now it'll be only 6 days, then use
the bpretlevel command.  Note, changing the retention for this level will
only affect future backups and not the existing backups.  You'll still have
to bpexpdate the existing images.

Better would be to define a new retention level and change the retention
level of the existing backups to this one.

-M