Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] database policy and several schedules...

2005-06-12 22:36:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] database policy and several schedules...
From: Michael.F.Lavelle AT abbott DOT com (Michael F Lavelle)
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:36:47 -0500
--=_alternative 000E71B98625701F_=

Hi,
        OK, so a general discussion of multiple schedules within one
policy and implementing multiple retention schedules within this policy
has (via inattention by some responders to the original topic) moved into
a more interesting and less well understood area of NetBackup policy
management.

        For the last year we've implemented multiple RMAN schedules of
different retention lengths within a single policy.

        Within an "Oracle" Policy Type, upon creation there is one default
schedule of Schedule Type "Application Backup".  This schedule's name is
"Default-Application-Backup".  You can rename it.  But as Kim noted
yesterday, no two schedules within a policy may have the same name.  The
name itself is not "special".
        However, the "Default-Application-Backup" ersatz User Backup is often
used by our DBAs
for one-off RMAN backups.  Don't delete this.  Just don't use it for
normal scheduled RMAN backups
        You can create additional "Application Backup" schedules with
different retention lengths and the other applicable schedule attributes.
It is the "Application Backup" which counts within the catalog.

        Here is where our RMAN implementation seems to differ from most
others I've heard of.  While the "Application Backup" can stand alone, it is
like a "UserBackup" Schedule
Type.
        If you want to initiate the RMAN backup from the Master Server
like most other policies, create an "Automatic Full Backup" schedule. This
schedule's "Start Window" will initiate an RMAN backups where the window
of this "Automatic Full Backup" and ANY "Application Backup" schedules
within the same "Oracle" policy you create.
        You must remember the "Automatic Full Backup" is a dummy schedule used
to control the initiation
of the "Application Backup".  Tthe retention schedule of the "Application
Backup" which control the images used in recovery

        A parallel example to the Oracle Cold Backup I gave yesterday is
three pairs of schedules:

One-off DBA:   Frequency (Sun-Fri - 16 hours), retained for 21 days
                Application Backup     Default-Application-Backup
                                       (the Start Window should not
overlap the following driver schedules)
                                       (no driver - above used as true
User Backup)
daily:         Frequency (Sun-Fri - 16 hours), retained for 21 days
                Application Backup     rman-daily
                Automatic Full Backup  rman-daily-driver
most weekends: Calendar (Recur WeekDay - 2/3/4/Last Saturday), retained
for 2 months
                Application Backup     rman-weekly
                Automatic Full Backup  rman-weekly-driver
monthly:       Calendar (Recur WeekDay - 1st Saturday), retained for 7
months
                Application Backup     rman-monthly
                Automatic Full Backup  rman-monthly-driver

        Disclosure: We have not implemented these specific schedules
above.  Our implementation uses two Application Backups and only one
driver, but the above example mirrors the more complicated real
implementation for Cold Backups I gave yesterday.  It also illustrates one
good use of the Default-Application-Backup schedule in a larger policy.

 Michael F. Lavelle                               Abbott Labs,
 Sr. Storage Engineer, CIT                   100 Abbott Park Rd,  AP14B-1
 Phone: 847.937.1195 (Fx:935.9725)   Abbott Park  IL  60064-6042

Charles Ballowe <cballowe AT gmail DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
06/11/2005 11:52 PM
Please respond to Charles Ballowe