Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP Incremental backups

2005-06-09 18:05:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP Incremental backups
From: Sto Rage© <netbacker AT gmail DOT com> (Sto Rage© )
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 15:05:59 -0700
We have been doing only Full  monthly backups of our Nearline filers
using NDMP. There is a request to do nightly backups for a specfic
volume and we are thinking of using Incremental backups. How does
Netbackup handle incremental NDMP backups? Is it similar to standard
backups? Does cumulative Incrementals work too?  if so can i have a
policy with monthly fulls, weekly cumulative and daily differential
incrementals? The volumes in question have snapvaulted qtrees that are
read-only.
My understanding it that on the filers it uses the dump command
backup, so will netbackup send the appropriate flags to dump to match
the policy. Or does NDMP backup always run as fulls? We plan to test
this next week, but some heads up would be nice before hand.
TIA
-G