Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup Version?

2005-06-08 14:54:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup Version?
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 13:54:37 -0500
--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/

* Jason Stoessler <jason.stoessler AT sysdm DOT com> [2005-06-08 11:21]:
> Hi All,
>=20
> Can anyone tell me if there is a way to find out the version of NetBackup
> running on a remote Unix system?
>=20
> What I want to know is do Veritas provide a command line utility that will
> report the version of the software installed on the remote system.
>=20
> The question has arisen from some of our developers who would like to
> obtain the information remotely without having to ssh into a unix system.

There are a couple things you can do that will work (more or less).
veritas has done a very poor job of displaying the actual patch level.
Patches usually do not update the docstring in all cases so you will
usually be able to verify only a minimum level. For example, You install
4.5FP6 and then patch to FP7. Odds are pretty good that you will see
only the FP6 level reported.

Having said that, you can still try a couple different things and YMMV.

1. use bpgetconfig
        bpgetconfig -M client will report VERSIONINFO at the bottom of the
        output for systems 4.5 and up by querying the client, but this is
        usually the install level, not the patch level (see above)
2. use bpcoverage
        bpcoverage -c client will report client and version also by querying
        the client software directly, but this tends to be more accurate in
        reporting patch levels.
3. look at the patch directories on the client.=20
        The problem here is there may not necessarily _be_ a patch
        directory, especially if install_client_files was used to install
        the software in the first place.

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com