Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape SAN + Data SAN

2005-06-08 06:35:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape SAN + Data SAN
From: william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com (william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com)
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 11:35:53 +0100
We do both, in different SANs.

We would now always use separate tape and disk HBA ports, as mentioned by
someone else, you cannot set the driver settings you need for tape on a
port used for disk and vice-versa.

We have tape SANs mostly for organisational reasons, not technical.   It
happens where we have several separate SAN islands for disk - maybe
because one is windows, another UNIX (reflecting support or ownership
boundaries, no technical reason to separate them).  We then have a
single-fabric tape SAN, which the servers in the other SANs link to using
a dedicated tape HBA port.   Folk are every reluctant to merge stable
production SANs, so we have a lot of SAN islands.

So in summary, you can use a tape SAN to front a shared tape library or
set of tape libraries, and use it from several SANs that you may have an
cannot merge.  If you have a green field, avoid SAN islands from the
outset.

William D L Brown

"Shyam Hazari" <shazari AT gmail DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
07-Jun-2005 23:14
Please respond to "Shyam Hazari" <shazari AT gmail DOT com>

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc

Subject
[Veritas-bu] Tape SAN + Data SAN

We are in the process of  buying a STK tape library with LTO (Fiber)
drives.  I have two options.

1) use the existing SAN infrastructure to connect the tape drives. I
don't have to buy any extra switches as I have plenty of available
ports.

or

2) buy extra switches.

I would prefer to go with option 2.  My question is , anyone using the
existing SAN by mixing the tape libraries and the disk arrays ?

TIA

-Hazari