Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bpclntcmd -hn xxxxx

2005-06-02 09:23:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bpclntcmd -hn xxxxx
From: dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net (Dave Markham)
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 14:23:01 +0100
WebsterR AT mont.disa DOT mil wrote:

> We are having a very slow response when we run the bpclntcmd -hn xxxx
> to resolve a forward lookup from our Master Media server to the
> clients we are backing up.  It will return back to the prompt with the
> IP and alias, it just takes about 5 or 6 seconds.  The bpclntcmd -ip
> for the same client will return almost immediately.  We can run
> bpclntcmd -hn xxxx from one of our other media servers and it returns
> right away.  The DNS server for our Master Media server is (2) hops
> away but the delay between the switches is very slow.  Has anyone had
> any experience in troubleshooting this symptom or know if it is a DNS
> issue or setting on the Master Media server?  Master is HP-UX 11.i in
> a cluster.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Randy Webster
> SMC Montgomery
> Veritas Administration
> (334) 416-6426
> DSN 596-6426

Once quick thing to check is the interface speed setting on your switch
and server. I have had it where a switch is set to auto neg on and a
server interface set to off, causing all sorts of trouble. Also
halfdupliex and full dupliex can cause issues with packet collisions one
way but look fine in an alternate direction.

Something to consider.

Cheers