Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 4.5 activity monitor

2005-05-31 11:46:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 4.5 activity monitor
From: veritas2-bu AT jasons DOT us (veritas2-bu AT jasons DOT us)
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 11:46:20 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 31 May 2005, Ed Wilts wrote:

> On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 09:51:26AM -0400, veritas2-bu AT jasons DOT us wrote:
>>
>> When I look at the activity monitor I only see 2-3 days worth of jobs.
>> How do I extend the list so that the jobs stay in there longer?
>
> As others have said, you can extend this but you should be aware of the
> performance penalty you will suffer when that list gets long. If you
> have a large number of jobs, extending this an extra day or two might
> not be too bad, but extending it to say a month would be totally
> unrealistic.

It's a small system with only a handfull of clients so performance there
shouldn't be a problem.  Since the whole network is mine I have free reign
of the backup windows too.  Will that performance issue cause jobs to
run slower or just to start slower?  I can deal with the latter just fine.

Actually, speaking of performance I'm not seeing the performance I would
expect.  I'm running an AIT-2 library and I never see more than 3.5MB/sec
on a single drive even with multiple clients running, only coming from
local disk, etc.  The backup server is an Athlon 2400+ with a gig of RAM,
though it's just a cheap whitebox with a less-than-stellar motherboard.
I've thought about picking up an older dual CPU system in the hopes that
it would improve things a bit.

> For longer-term reporting, I'd suggest you look at one of the commercial
> reporting tools.  My favorite, as I've posted before, is Aptare
> StorageConsole.  I've got data going back to last summer when we
> installed the product and can quickly and easily generate reports via a
> web interface.
>
>        .../Ed
>
> Disclaimer:  I don't work for Aptare but I'm wearing an Aptare shirt
> today :-)

Gotcha. :-)

--
-Jason

-----
Jason K. Schechner
    --- There are no ABSOLUTE STATEMENTS   I'm very probably wrong. ---
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
                                        - Albert Einstein