Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] What are you NOT backing up?

2005-05-19 23:58:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] What are you NOT backing up?
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 22:58:23 -0500
--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr

* Michael F Lavelle <Michael.F.Lavelle AT abbott DOT com> [2005-05-19 22:35]:
> David,
>         I do notice you are a vendor's shill.

I assure you the only thing I get out of this personally is good
service, but I don't think I'm unique in that respect ;-)

>         What are your error rates for backup jobs?
>         Abbott Laboratories has daily error rates for all backup jobs les=
s=20
> than 0.4% for all jobs run, including all error code 41, 54, and 196=20
> failures.

Before getting something to help, no idea at all. Currently we are in
the 1-2% failure range, which is kind of the point to my rambling.

My counter question would be, how many distinct customer environments
are you backing up? Do you have full control over what happens in you
backup environment? We don't. We are backing up eveything from our own
internal systems to co-located clients that we don't even have admin
access to. I am personally amazed that our failure rate is so low
considering the amount of policital BS we have to go through just to get
clients upgraded.=20

I'm sure abbott has stringent quality control over all aspects of their
IT infrastructure and nothing changes without a good reason. By
contrast, we were forced to migrate an environment to 4.5FP3 because one
of our customers decided they needed to run Windows 2003 the day it went
GA. Unreasonable customer demands usually drive our decisions :-(

Things are getting better, but we still have a long way to go.

>         Hope to see you next week if you are in Chicago.

Yep, we are out of Downers Grove, so I plan to be downtown next week.
See you there.

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com