Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How long does it take you do restore Catalog?

2005-05-17 08:47:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How long does it take you do restore Catalog?
From: marek.gorka AT sun DOT com (Marek Gorka)
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 14:47:29 +0200
Dear Helpful People,

I do my CATALOG backup to tapes. I've set a testing procedure do restore one
of the images I backup to tape. The image to restore is
/opt/openv/netbackup/db directory.

When I switch off the NBU, manually (robtest) mount the catalog backup tape
into LTO2 drive and do

bprecover -l -tpath /dev/rmt/11cbn

I get the full listing of the images backed up.

I "mv /opt/openv/netbackup/db /opt/openv/netbackup/nodb" and start the
restore process:

bprecover -r 1 -tpath /dev/rmt/11cbn -dhost SERVERNAME -v

It tells me that /opt/openv/netbackup/db is being restored. Correct. In fact
no activity (monitored by "iostat -xnz 2 | grep rmt") can be seen on
/dev/rmt/11cbn. Nothing actually happens. I've left this process to last for
2 hours and nothing happened - though the "mt -f /dev/rmt/11cbn status"
gives me "Drive is busy" message.

The image to be restored is 200MB. I had to cancel this test after 2 hours
as this is a pruduction environment.

Do you have any comments on that? Is it possible for the drive to scan this
tape so terribly long? Or anything else?

I expected (this proces to last less than 15 minutes.

best regards,

--
Marek Gorka
Client Solutions