Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Drive usage...

2005-05-12 14:30:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Drive usage...
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 13:30:50 -0500
On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 08:17:06PM +0200, Hampus Lind wrote:
> Okay, sar could work, but it has to be active all the time then to collect
> the i/o transfer to tape, right?
>
> What i`am looking for is a command line way to get this info, which i can
> run every morning and collect all the info to our graf server. But maybe
> sar is the best way of geting this info...!?

The problem with using NetBackup to report on this data is that it only
reports on the throughput at the completion of a job.  If you have a job
that spans multiple hours, you then get to decide how you want to report
on that. Don't forget that a job can (and usually does) switch tape
drives when it needs to change tapes.  It's a non-trivial problem, and
interpreting the data at the end won't be easy either - you have to
recognize that the tape usually isn't the bottleneck anyway.

sar might be your best bet though.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org