Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SQL agent any pros and cons?

2005-05-11 19:02:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SQL agent any pros and cons?
From: Bill_Jorgensen AT csgsystems DOT com (Jorgensen, Bill)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 17:02:41 -0600
Greg and Jerry:

I have not been following this thread too closely so forgive me for any
ingnorance...

I agree with Jerry. However, it depends on how the SQL backup is done.
We had an implementation of BMC's SQL Backtrack with NBU 3.x and it was
rough waters. If you doing this via LAN-based backups I would caution
you away from this. The failure rate was unacceptable for us. We asked
our dbas to do their Oracle backups to a specific file system (disk -
more expensive indeed!) and pick it up there with a separate policy.

I have been out of the SQL backup schema for a bit so if I am out in
left field I am eager to get educated.

Good luck,

Bill

     Bill Jorgensen