Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Q re backup to disk & duplicate to tape

2005-05-10 18:50:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Q re backup to disk & duplicate to tape
From: Jeffrey_Dykzeul AT raytheon DOT com (Jeffrey Dykzeul)
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 15:50:15 -0700
I am hoping somebody is already doing something similar to what I describe
below and can direct me to the appropriate techniques/commands using
NetBackup.

1) I want to try staging backups to disk on my master/media server.
2) Once backups to disk are complete, I want to duplicate some selection of
the images
     to tape for offsite storage.
3) Once the tapes are made for offsite storage, I want to leave the images
on disk for a
     limited amount of time, perhaps a week, then remove them to free up
disk space. But
     I still want to be able to recover from the offsite tapes within a
reasonable period of time,
     say 6 months, without having to import the images to determine what is
on the tapes.

I have a pretty good idea of how to do 1 (create/use disk storage units) &
2 (bpduplicate), but if you know of any gotchas or nifty techniques, I'm
happy to listen. I'm not clear on how to accomplish step 3.

Jeff Dykzeul
Raytheon Space & Airborne Systems